NHSA has three types of awards:
- Distinctive Legislative Awards given to Members of Congress for their support of the federally funded Healthy Start initiative;
- The C. Michael Savage Outstanding Leadership Award to persons deemed worthy of receiving national recognition for outstanding leadership and service in the area of maternal and child health, especially among Healthy Start communities.
- Special Awards given to deserving individuals or organizations for their support of Healthy Start and moms, dads, babies and families across America.
Distinctive Leadership Awards are generally presented to Members of Congress on the last day of NHSA’s Annual Conference, generally referred to as our “Capitol Hill Day.” Awards are given to members of both the Senate and the House of Representative and to members of both of the two major political parties in Congress. Healthy Start began in a Republican administration and has been uniquely supported by both Democrats and Republicans throughout the years. The list below is incomplete as some records have been lost over time. As we track down missing pieces, we will add them to the list below.
The C. Michael Savage Outstanding Leadership Award was established in the name C. Michael Savage to honor his memory and service to NHSA, as well as to the MCH field, including his hard work and commitment to improving services for women, children and families, which extended beyond himself to touch lives across this nation. Mike was a founding Board member of NHSA and a man of vision, passion, dignity and integrity. Mike was genuinely a servant of all and himself an outstanding leader. The award in his name and honor is given to individuals who demonstrate outstanding leadership in the following areas, to which Mike was dedicated and committed:
- Advocate for Social Justice and Common Good
- Administrative and Financial Management Leadership
- Community Organizing
- Passionate Service
The criteria for the C. Michael Savage Outstanding Leadership Award are that individuals who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in at lease two of the aforementioned areas be a strong advocate for women, children and community; and finally, have significant nationally and local. To date, the award has been given to only three individuals, demonstrating how highly NHSA rates those to whom it chooses to give the C. Michael Savage Outstanding Leadership award.
Special Awards are those that are neither Distinctive Legislative Awards nor C. Michael Savage Outstanding Leadership Awards. Thus, the recipients come from a rather large pool of individuals and businesses supportive of NHSA and our mission, as well as the broader MCH arena. Some of these awards are “Legacy Awards,” indicating that the recipient is recognized for services and/or support over a long period of time.